Memorandum of Understanding
DO NOT USE OR PRINT THIS DOCUMENT.
This document is being provided for informational purposes ONLY. Official signed copies will be mailed to libraries who sign up for Plinkit by contacting the Oregon State Library.
Memorandum of Understanding
The ______ Public Library and the Oregon State Library
Plinkit Content Management System
The Oregon State Library is committed to assisting local public libraries in making their resources and services available to the citizens of Oregon. Using Library Services and Technology Act funding, the State Library has deployed an open source content management tool and created Plinkit, which allows libraries in Oregon to provide online information and resources to their constituents. Plinkit is now available for public libraries and the use of it will be bound by the following agreements.
The Oregon State Library (“OSL”) and the _____ Public Library (“Public Library”), in seeking to provide valuable online resources to Oregon citizens through a high-quality, locally maintained library website, agree to the following:
The Oregon State Library agrees:
host at no cost a Plinkit website on behalf of Public Library.
- To provide the following features through Plinkit:
- Event calendars with categories for kids, adults, all ages, meetings, and closures.
- A news template with start and end dates for display.
- A photo album template, allowing Public Library to share historical (and other) images online.
- An address book that patrons can search and can be used to store information on local, community organizations.
- To provide the following types of pages that need only be updated with information specific to Public Library:
- A page to introduce the library director and your library to your patrons.
- A page that provides location information, hours of operation, and web forms that allow patrons to email (specified) library staff from the Plinkit website.
- A page where you share information on how to get a card, how to renew materials, how to place holds, etc.
- A page where you can advertise every service that your library provides
- A page to present information on volunteering, Friends of the Library and Library Foundation organizations.
- A page to publish library policies: how things are done at your library and why.
- To provide the following dynamic features and useful content:
- A page describing all the databases currently available through the Statewide Database Licensing Program, including links for remote access when possible.
- Hourly updated news feeds from a number of news sites. (Other feeds may be made available up on request by Public Library).
- Links to numerous books reviews, best-sellers lists, and other reader’s advisory tools that are automatically updated regularly.
- Additional links to various online resources of interest to library patrons.
- To provide technical assistance including:
- Initial training for all library staff responsible for creating and maintain web content through Plinkit.
- Printed training manual.
- Access to training manual online and other training resources.
- Technical assistance during initial set-up phase.
- "Plinkit Technology Programs" – ongoing training opportunities on how to develop, use, and promote new and existing features on Public Library’s Plinkit website such as:
- How to host online book discussion groups.
- How to develop and incorporate information resources and services for specific communities and/or on specific topics (e.g., highlighting Spanish language resources and business/economic development research tutorials).
- How to promote and train patrons on the use of research databases.
- Developing and promoting virtual photo/image galleries.
NOTE: Participation in “Plinkit Technology Programs” will be done primarily online (using online, live training sessions, mailing lists, etc.)
The _____ Public Library agrees:
be a full participant in the Statewide Database Licensing Program.
provide the information requested by OSL to set up and configure Public
Library’s Plinkit website.
provide a professional-looking graphic / banner that will appropriately brand
Public Library’s Plinkit website, possible elements to include Public Library’s
logo, city or county emblem, etc.
establish Public Library’s Plinkit website as Public Library’s only public
provide a staff (or volunteer) resource(s) that is (are) available a minimum of
two hours per week to maintain and update the website.
the identified staff resource(s) will be subscribed to the “Plinkit-Libs”
electronic mailing list.
- To set a “Go Live” date for Public Library’s Plinkit website for which:
- The “Contact Us” section has been updated accordingly.
- Public Library’s graphic banner has been provided to OSL for use on Public Library’s Plinkit website.
- The “Go Live” date is within a reasonable time, not to exceed 45 days from which Public Library staff resource(s) received initial training
- To have links (graphics or text) to the following websites or resources on one or more Plinkit web pages:
- L-net (http://www.oregonlibraries.net/)
- OSLIS (http://www.oslis.org/)
- Databases as currently provided through the Statewide Database Licensing Program
the identified staff resource(s) will participate in a minimum of three
“Plinkit Technology Programs” per year.